Wednesday, July 4, 2012

DIY Project: Ruffly Felt Wreath

Thanks to Design Sponge for this amazingly done tutorial that is so easy I'm pretty sure it can't be real.  ; )

We are so excited to give this one a whirl!!  Can you imagine all the different color mixes you can do for ANY holiday, sports party, wedding, or whatever else you can think of...just love it.

felt-ruffle-wreath

What you’ll need for the wreath:
- a 12 inch Styrofoam wreath form
- approximately 2 1/2 yards of felt
- straight pins (enough to match the number of felt circles needed, plus two for attaching the hanger)
- scissors
- a 3 inch circle template
- a pencil
- ribbon for hanging

Making the Felt Rosettes
Using a pencil and your circle template, trace circles onto the felt. Cut the felt circles, and fold them in half twice to form rosettes. Insert a pin near the bottom corner of the rosette, about 1/8 inch from the corner.

felt-ruffle-wreath-single

Attaching the Felt Rosettes
Attach the felt rosettes to the wreath form, making sure to group the rosettes tightly enough that no Styrofoam is showing through the rosettes. After you’ve added a few, fluff and adjust the rosettes to your liking. Continue making, pinning, and attaching the rosettes until you’ve worked your way around the wreath form. If you have circles that are slightly misshapen or that have a little pencil or ink on them, place them toward the outside or inside edges, where they can’t be seen when the wreath is hanging.

felt-ruffle-wreath-back

Wreath Back
This is what my wreath looked like on the back when I was finished. As you can see, I started off with ball point straight pins, but I switched to flat head pins when the rosette count started to get up there and I had to run out and buy more pins. If you use flat head pins, then I suggest using a thimble to push them into the wreath form, or your thumb will take a beating. Ask me how I know.

felt-ruffle-wreath-hang

Wreath Hanger
After you’ve finished adding the felt rosettes, cut a 5 inch length of ribbon, fold it in half, and attach it to the wreath form with two pins to form a hanger.
Wreath Finished
I love how organic the wreath looks when it’s finished. The ruffly felt rosettes, when grouped together like this, remind me a bit of a coral reef. While this is a rather ambitious project, I think it was completely worth the time spent. I’ll be using my wreath year ’round as part of my home décor!

felt-ruffle-wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment