Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY: Yarn Balls

Abernathy Crafts has a simple, fun, and budget friendly way of creating some great looking yarn balls for decor!  We love the idea of making a bunch of them in different colors and putting them into a vase for every season or holiday!  They are so inexpensive we bet you'll find more ways than one to love these things!

yarn balls 5
I didn’t know what else to call them.  They’re balls, wrapped in yarn.  Yarn balls.  I know, it’s silly.  But if you’d like to know how to make some to add some pretty silliness to your space, I’ve got a tutorial for you.
yarn balls
Materials needed:
  • Styrofoam balls (any size will do)
  • Wooden skewers
  • Craft glue
  • Yarn
Before I started on this project, I read on Pinterest that you can dye your skewers using food coloring.  So I tried it.  I filled a glass baking dish with water and several drops of food coloring.  Then I soaked the skewers overnight.  The next day I discovered that it didn’t work.  So then I added the entire bottle of food coloring.  That did the trick.  So apparently it does work but you just have to use a ridiculous amount of food coloring for the wood to soak up. 

yarn balls 2
So, start by shoving the skewers lovingly into the Styrofoam balls.  Pointed end in works best.
yarn balls 3
Starting at the bottom around the stick, spread some glue and begin wrapping the yarn around in a spiral.
banner 2
Keep gluing and wrapping the yarn around until you get to the top.
yarn balls 6

No comments:

Post a Comment